Personal information we collect
“Personal information” means information about an identifiable individual as described under Canadian privacy laws. Generally, personal information does not include any business contact information that is solely used to communicate with you in relation to your employment, business or profession, such as your name, position name or title, work address, work telephone number, work fax number or work e-mail address.
The type of personal information we collect from you varies, depending on the way you use our Services. We collect personal information about you in the ways described below.
Personal information you provide to us
When you use our Site or Services, we collect personal information that you choose to share with us. This information may include:
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Credit or debit card information
- Contact or glasses prescription information, and photos thereof
- Eyecare provider information
- Insurance information
We also collect any additional personal information you choose to provide to us.
Social media information: If you use the option to log in with social media we will receive the information included in your public profile, such as your social media handle, your gender, age range, country, and language.
Employment application information: We collect personal information such as your name, address, e-mail, and phone number when you apply for employment with us through the Site. In addition, we may collect information relating to your education and employment history when you submit that information as part of an employment application. Not all requested information is required, however, and we specifically indicate what information is required in order to submit your employment application.
Geolocation information: Our App may utilize location services on your mobile device to collect and use location data, including the real-time geographic location of your device. If you consent to the App’s utilization of location services, we may use GPS, Bluetooth, your device’s unique identifier, and/or your IP Address, along with Wi-Fi and cell tower locations, and other technologies to determine your device’s geolocation. This location data is utilized to initiate notifications or deliver services requested by you. We will collect geolocation data only if you consent, and you can determine and choose whether the location services will be always running or only when the App is in use through your settings on your mobile device. You may choose to disable location services through our App, but if you do so, you will not receive any notifications or services that require a geolocation. Most mobile devices provide users with the ability to disable location services. These controls are generally located in the device’s settings menu. You can also contact your mobile service carrier or your device manufacturer for more information on disabling location services.
Personal information we collect automatically
You do not need to create an account or provide personal information in order to browse our Site. Our Site, however, automatically collects certain information about your use of our Site and Services. This information includes:
- device information, such as hardware setting, web browser type and language
- IP address, MAC address
- identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser (e.g. device advertising ID)
- times you have accessed pages
- pages you have viewed
- searches you have conducted
- pages you visited before or after navigating to our Website
Personal information we collect from third parties
We may collect personal information about you from other third parties including social media networks, advertising providers and analytics providers, and from publicly available sources. For example, we may receive personal information about you from a partner when we jointly offer services or from an advertiser about your experiences with them. We may combine information that we collect from third parties with the personal information we collect through our Services.
Why we use your personal information
We generally use your personal information to:
- Deliver our Services to you, including providing access to our Site’s online features, such as eye exams and prescription verification, completing and processing your online purchases or engaging in other transactions with you
- Communicate with you about the Services, including to respond to your customer service requests or respond to any other inquiry or correspondence you send to us
- Interact with you when you engage us on our Live Chat feature
- Present you with marketing relating to our Services, including promotions, coupons and other discount offers, and show you advertisements that are personalized to your preferences
- Provide you updates, reminders, or other informational or educational content
- Enable you to participate in a contest, sweepstake, promotion, or survey
- Enable you to participate in our loyalty/rewards program
- Enable you to participate in blogs and post testimonials. If you provide a testimonial, your name will be publicly posted along with the testimonial. Please remember that blogs and testimonials are located in the public areas of our Site. Do not share content that you would not want others to read, save, or share
- Consider you for employment
- Analyze and improve the Site and Services, including developing and improving products and services, monitoring and analyzing trends and usage
- Prevent, detect, investigate, or remediate security or other legal concerns, including fraud
- Protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our users, or any other person or the copyright-protected content of the Services
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations, or industry requirements, or respond to subpoenas or government requests
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide consent
How we disclose your personal information
We generally identify to whom, and for what purposes, we will disclose your personal information (and we obtain your consent to such disclosure) at the time we collect your personal information. We may share your personal information with the following third parties for the purposes described below:
- With 6over6, as the provider of the GoEyes Tool:
- If you opt to use the GoEyes Tool to receive telemedicine services, we will disclose certain personal information to 6over6, such as your contact information, to facilitate the provision of the telemedicine services to you through the GoEyes Tool.
- With third parties for legal or security reasons:
- We may share your personal information if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- comply with any valid legal process, governmental request, or applicable law, rule, or regulation.
- protect the rights, property, and safety of us, our users, or others
- detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns
- With third parties as part of a business transaction:
- If we are involved in a business transaction, including a merger, asset sale, financing, corporate divestiture, reorganization, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company or if we undergo liquidation or bankruptcy proceedings, we may share your personal information in connection with such transaction or proceeding before and or after the transaction closes or the proceedings are completed.
- We may disclose your personal information in connection with your employment application to verify the information you provide.
- We may disclose your personal information in other ways if you give us consent or direct us to do so.
- We do not share personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes.
- We do not sell personal information to third parties.
How we use service providers
We may transfer your personal information to service providers who process your personal information on our behalf for the purposes identified in the section “Why we use your personal information”.
Our service providers include web hosting and data storage providers, web analytics providers (e.g., Adobe Analytics), ecommerce and customer engagement providers (e.g., branch.io and Butter), session replay providers for Site analytics and functionality (e.g., Quantum Metrics), image management providers (e.g., Cloudinary), e-mail and text message marketing providers (e.g., Cordial and MailChimp), billing and payment processors, customer support and call center services, and customer referral, product rating and review services (e.g., Extole and PowerReviews).
When we transfer your personal information to a service provider, we require that they maintain the confidentiality of your personal information and keep it secure. We also require that our service providers comply with applicable privacy laws and only use your personal information for the limited purposes for which it is provided.
Your consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information
We collect, use, and disclose your personal information with your consent or as permitted or required by law. How we obtain your consent, including whether it is express or implied, will depend on the circumstances and the sensitivity of the personal information in question. Generally, we will seek your consent at the time we collect your personal information, either orally, electronically, or in writing.
If you wish to withdraw your consent to our collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information, please contact us. We will accommodate your request to withdraw consent, subject to legal or contractual restrictions. Withdrawal of your consent may mean that we will no longer be able to provide you with certain Services.
Aggregated or anonymized information
We may use your personal information to create aggregate or anonymized data. Aggregated or anonymized data is not considered personal information because it cannot be used to identify you. We use such data for our own purposes and may also share such data with third parties, such as advertisers. We do not limit these third-parties from using, selling, licensing, distributing, or disclosing aggregate or anonymized data for their own purposes.
- remember your preferences and allowing you to enter your username less frequently
- uniquely identify each user session when you access the services
- compile aggregated statistics to analyze how the Services are used
- present you and communicate to you information that is targeted to your interests, including our content presented on another website and across devices
- measure the effectiveness of our sites, services, content, communications and advertising, including by placing web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs) which identify which emails and links have been opened by recipients
We may engage in interest-based advertising (also known as targeted or behavioural advertising) in connection with your use of our Site. Other companies may use information collected on our Site to deliver advertisements on behalf of us or other companies, targeted to your interests and preferences, on our Site or on other websites or applications you may visit, on your various devices, or on your social media feed and to gauge their effectiveness.
You can understand which third parties have currently enabled cookies for your browser or mobile device and how to opt-out of some of those cookies by accessing the Network Advertising Initiative’s website at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#!/ or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s website at http://optout.aboutads.info/#!/ . For more information on mobile specific opt-out choices, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choices and from your mobile device.
On your mobile device you may have features that allow you to opt out of some targeted advertising (“Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS devices or “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” on Android devices). To learn more about how these opt-out features work, please review your device settings.
Even if you disable the tracking, keep in mind that you may still receive interest-based advertising based on information that had been previously disclosed and you may still receive advertising from us that is not based on your interests and preferences.
How we use Adobe Analytics
For web analytics, we use Adobe Experience Cloud solutions, such as Adobe Analytics, provided by Adobe Systems Inc. (“Adobe”). Adobe may set cookies on your browser or mobile device or read cookies that are already there to collect information, such as clicks you make when visiting our Site. We use the information collected by Adobe to improve our Site and Services and to provide you with more relevant advertising.
You can learn more about your choices for opting out of having your Site visits tracked by Adobe, on our behalf, by visiting Adobe Privacy Choices. For more information about the privacy policies of Adobe, please refer to Adobe Experience Cloud Privacy.
How we protect your personal information
We take reasonable precautions to protect your personal information. We have implemented physical, organizational, contractual, and technological security measures in an effort to protect your personal information from loss or theft, unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example:
- we train our employees and agents on the importance of safeguarding personal information
- we restrict access to your personal information to those employees or agents who need access for authorized purposes
- we protect personal information in electronic form using technological means such as firewalls, access controls, and encryption
Please keep in mind that the Internet is not a 100% secure medium for communication, and despite these measures, we cannot guarantee that your personal information will always remain private when using our Services. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk.
We may also require that you assist us in safeguarding your personal information. For example, if you create an account through our Site, you should use a unique and strong password and not share your password with others. If you have reason to believe that your personal information is no longer secure, please contact us immediately.
Accessing and updating your personal information
We expect you to supply us with updates to your personal information, when required. We will not routinely update your personal information unless such a process is necessary.
You can access and correct most of your account information on our Site by clicking on “My Account”. You may make a request to access, correct or delete other personal information that we have collected, used or disclosed by contacting us, and we will respond to such requests in accordance with Canadian privacy laws.
To protect your privacy, before we respond to your request, we may we may ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information. We will try to respond to such requests for free, but if it would require a disproportionate effort on our part, we may charge a fee. We will disclose the fee before we comply with your request. We may reject an access, correction or deletion request for a number of reasons, including, for example, if the request risks the privacy of other users, requires technical efforts that are disproportionate to the request, is repetitive, or is unlawful.
Opting out of marketing communications
You can stop receiving email communications – such as our newsletter – from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in the email communications. You can also change your communication preferences by accessing “My Account” or by contacting us. We will retain your email address in order to be able to abide by your opt out choice. We make efforts to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of service-related communications (e.g. purchase and billing confirmations and reminders (for example: notifications that your prescription has expired or that you may need to order new contacts), changes/updates to features of the services, and technical and security notices).
This Site is not directed at or intended for use by children under 16 years old. We do not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 16. If we are made aware of such a situation, we will delete such information.
Some of our Services, programs or promotions, or portions or features of them, may only be available to individuals who are over the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside. The terms and conditions applicable to the specific Service, program or promotion will inform you of whether you must be a specific age to participate.
Links to other websites and services
Retention, storage, and international transfer of personal information
We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, and as permitted or required by law.
Any personal information Hello Eyes collects from you will be transferred to, and stored and processed in the United States to fulfil the purpose for which we collected it (including for processing and storage by our service providers). While your personal information is outside of Canada, it is subject to the laws of the country in which it is located, which may have different data protection laws than Canada. Those laws may require disclosure of your personal information to authorities in that country. For more information about our policies and practices regarding the processing of personal information outside of Canada, please contact us.
Email: [email protected]
Mail: 261 Data Drive, Draper, UT 84020